Friday 10 October 2014

One simple act for nature has exponential beneficial results

Earlier on this page I posted a photo of a Common Ninebark, a native Ontario species, purchased from www.yourleaf.org, which I planted in the wild area of my small backyard.

Previously, my son-in-law had dug up for me all of the garlic mustard which, as an invasive species native to Italy, had taken over my yard.  I believed at the time that it would simply return.

But a surprise awaited me!  After planting only my Common Ninebark, and allowing it to get established, this year it bore fruit all summer.  (It proved to be very hardy too over this year's previous hard winter!)

The result of this has been that many birds have visited it to feast on its fruit, thus leaving their droppings behind.  Suddenly I find that all manner of Ontario indigenous plants, or "weeds," if you must, have come back to take root in my garden. 


A goldenrod has become resident.


Milkweed, the Monarch butterfly's only food source is now flourishing.


And here are some photos of other wild, flowering plants which have established themselves, whose names I don't know.  But I recognize them from the meadows of my childhood.

So you see, just one simple act of planting a native Ontario shrub, the Common Ninebark, from www.yourleaf.org has brought diversity back to my yard.  Incidentally, it amuses me to remember that 15 years ago, the City of Toronto ordered me to cut down all these offending plants in favour of a putting down a lawn.  However, this City of Toronto policy is no longer in place.

Yeah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment